
Kids these days abuse the usage of foul language, that it's become freakishly a normal thing when it really shouldn't be. Swearing makes them feel cool. Offensive words have turned into a frequent expression. If you don't speak everyone else's linggo, you're a weirdo.
In my family, we were disciplined to choose our words wisely. If ever my parents should hear us kids cursing, we get grounded or face some punishment. I grew up refraining from using bad words or at least trying hard to avoid them. I developed a sense of conciousness against foul language, and so did my sisters. But I guess my case isn't everyone else's. I realized that because most people in school use offensive words like it's nothing, cursing their heads off with a smile on their faces. "'Tang ina! Ang ganda talaga nang napanuod ko kagabi!" (translation: "Fuck, man! The show last night was awesome!") I'd hear a boy from my class shout out as I step into the classroom. Those words would hit me like a knife because I knew that to some degree, they shouldn't be used explicitly. At least I was taught that way. "Putang ina mo, pumasok ka na dito!" (translation: "Mother fucker, get inside the house!") I'd hear the neighbor shout out to her child as I walk by their front gate. She was cursing to her little toddler, like she didn't know what those words she just blurted out really mean. I'd bite my lip, and close our front door, pretending that I didn't just hear that. Every time, it threw me off my comfort zone. To them, it was regular. To me, it was pain to my ears. But when you stick with these people every single day, you'll get used to it. Eventually, hearing all those curses and swearing all the time would get you to think that it was normal.
Words to me are precious. I just don't know how much they are relevant to other people. My classmates once called me "nun" or "sister" whenever I told them what I thought was bad. They teased me for what I believed in. "What are you, an angel? You're too good to be true." they would laugh. But that wasn't a compliment. It was like saying, I didn't fit in. I'm weird beacuse I'm not enagaging myself in what everybody else does. I'd get crushed. People would usually put their best foot forward when they're around me, talk to me like I'm a baby because they knew I didn't like hearing offensive language, but they should also know that I'm not to be treated differently from other people. That's why in a conversation, I'm one to just keep my mouth shut, open my ears and ignore the thorny words that would feel like cutting my throat. I hated that feeling. Being exposed to something but being held by boundaries from experiencing it first hand. I've thought before, "Why does everyone get to say what they want, while I don't?". One time, I let myself got carried away. I tried uttering those words which to me before, were taboo. Nothing happened. The sky didn't fall down on me, the earth didn't swallow me up just because I cursed. Plus, it made me feel a tad cooler. I can see why kids my age have fun saying these kinds of stuff. It was a trend. It was begging to be followed. It will make you feel you belonged. But then I clapped my hands around my lips slowly. I didn't feel happy at all. I didn't gain anything from it. It made me feel ugly. Those words were ugly. Who was I kidding?
Choosing your words are part of good etiquette. The way you talk shows a little side of who you are. I'm a person who's generally silent. And I could say that I don't let my feelings get the best of me. Sometimes when you're angry or depressed, it's normal to be able to swear. Sometimes, when I feel like screaming something really bad, I cover my face with a pillow, shout in a room where I'm the only one who hears it. When you're having a really bad day, you might want to let all those bad words out, and it's okay. Cursing when your feelings are stirred is normal, but letting it become a part of you isn't. What you may think is okay, is actually ugly and hideous. Before you open your mouth today, think first if what you will be saying is appropriate and has value. Instead of trying to be dirty-cool, why not try being clean-cool? Set the trend and let your friends follow it rather than following in what everyone else does. You'll even feel good about it.
~Van-chan ^_^~
In my family, we were disciplined to choose our words wisely. If ever my parents should hear us kids cursing, we get grounded or face some punishment. I grew up refraining from using bad words or at least trying hard to avoid them. I developed a sense of conciousness against foul language, and so did my sisters. But I guess my case isn't everyone else's. I realized that because most people in school use offensive words like it's nothing, cursing their heads off with a smile on their faces. "'Tang ina! Ang ganda talaga nang napanuod ko kagabi!" (translation: "Fuck, man! The show last night was awesome!") I'd hear a boy from my class shout out as I step into the classroom. Those words would hit me like a knife because I knew that to some degree, they shouldn't be used explicitly. At least I was taught that way. "Putang ina mo, pumasok ka na dito!" (translation: "Mother fucker, get inside the house!") I'd hear the neighbor shout out to her child as I walk by their front gate. She was cursing to her little toddler, like she didn't know what those words she just blurted out really mean. I'd bite my lip, and close our front door, pretending that I didn't just hear that. Every time, it threw me off my comfort zone. To them, it was regular. To me, it was pain to my ears. But when you stick with these people every single day, you'll get used to it. Eventually, hearing all those curses and swearing all the time would get you to think that it was normal.
Words to me are precious. I just don't know how much they are relevant to other people. My classmates once called me "nun" or "sister" whenever I told them what I thought was bad. They teased me for what I believed in. "What are you, an angel? You're too good to be true." they would laugh. But that wasn't a compliment. It was like saying, I didn't fit in. I'm weird beacuse I'm not enagaging myself in what everybody else does. I'd get crushed. People would usually put their best foot forward when they're around me, talk to me like I'm a baby because they knew I didn't like hearing offensive language, but they should also know that I'm not to be treated differently from other people. That's why in a conversation, I'm one to just keep my mouth shut, open my ears and ignore the thorny words that would feel like cutting my throat. I hated that feeling. Being exposed to something but being held by boundaries from experiencing it first hand. I've thought before, "Why does everyone get to say what they want, while I don't?". One time, I let myself got carried away. I tried uttering those words which to me before, were taboo. Nothing happened. The sky didn't fall down on me, the earth didn't swallow me up just because I cursed. Plus, it made me feel a tad cooler. I can see why kids my age have fun saying these kinds of stuff. It was a trend. It was begging to be followed. It will make you feel you belonged. But then I clapped my hands around my lips slowly. I didn't feel happy at all. I didn't gain anything from it. It made me feel ugly. Those words were ugly. Who was I kidding?
Choosing your words are part of good etiquette. The way you talk shows a little side of who you are. I'm a person who's generally silent. And I could say that I don't let my feelings get the best of me. Sometimes when you're angry or depressed, it's normal to be able to swear. Sometimes, when I feel like screaming something really bad, I cover my face with a pillow, shout in a room where I'm the only one who hears it. When you're having a really bad day, you might want to let all those bad words out, and it's okay. Cursing when your feelings are stirred is normal, but letting it become a part of you isn't. What you may think is okay, is actually ugly and hideous. Before you open your mouth today, think first if what you will be saying is appropriate and has value. Instead of trying to be dirty-cool, why not try being clean-cool? Set the trend and let your friends follow it rather than following in what everyone else does. You'll even feel good about it.
~Van-chan ^_^~

No comments:
Post a Comment